Friday, January 11, 2008

Back in the work force

Yes, it has been a while. I have been unemployed for about nine months - some of it was intentional, some of it was not. Looking for a job got to be quite tedious. I wanted a role that suited my skills but most of them required more experience than I had. Fortunately for me, finances were comfortable so I did not have to settle for something I didn't want.

I got the news earlier this month that I got the job I was interested in. It is exciting and nerve-wrecking at the same time - exciting because it's a unique role in the Canadian division of a leading global company, nerve-wrecking because it's a new role with no precedence and little guidelines. What makes it worse is that they were looking for someone with more experience but decided to go with me because of my Chem Eng background - specifically organic chemistry. I hope my lack of experience and lack of interest in organic chemistry doesn't hurt me. Luckily for the latter, I only need to understand how the products work.

While I am geared to start working again this Monday (just in time for our newly acquired mortgage payments!), I realize more than ever that I am completely fine with being an overly-educated housewife. There are only two downsides that make me hesitate. One, I've always been used to supporting myself financially and find it weird to get money from my hubby. Two, if I need to get back in the workforce somewhere down the road, I think it'd be next to impossible to find a decent job. My degrees and experience will be too far out of date. But I don't have to worry about that right now. At the moment, I just have to worry about getting up 6 hours earlier than I normally do Monday to Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home