Sunday, October 21, 2007

My first meal using proper tools

So I got to try out my first meal and it was not bad for the first attempt.

I made rigatoni with a tuna-tomato-red onion-chili sauce tossed with basil and Parmesan cheese. Note to self: if you leave the sauce to simmer and boil without a cover (I don't have one for the pan), all the saucy goodness may evaporate away and leave you with tomato-flavoured tuna rather than an actual sauce.

I also made potato rosti with garlic and rosemary. I have now confirmed that I do not like rosemary. Note to self: do not overdo it with the rosemary. I lost about half my meal when I used damp waxed paper to compress the rosti. I guess it wasn't "damp" enough. Note to self: there is a difference between "wetted" and "damp".

When I was moving around the stove, I forgot that the handle of the pan was still really hot from cooking the rosti in the oven. I didn't make enough room when reaching over the handle and burned my inner arm. It still hurts. Note to self: push hot things to the side and avoid touching them.

The food was half-decent and the lessons were plentiful. Not bad for the first attempt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cammie said...

niiiiice! i wanted to get that book, but i recently bought a cookbook already so i didn't. You should join our dinner party club. haha...we're starting this thing where everyone takes turns cooking for everyone (within a set budget)..i think it'll be once a month, or every 2 months or something. I'm starting it in november...but my problem is i don't have a dining room table so seating is limited. haha

1:25 PM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

To give myself a little more credit, the pasta ended up quite yummy as leftovers. The dish made me realize how ridiculously awesome basil makes tomato sauce taste (and vice versa). Now, I just randomly add hand-torn basil leaves everywhere haha.

Which cookbook did you get? We can swap for a while if you want.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home