Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Do good luck charms really work?

I had this discussion with Melody "I heart" Chong (or Chong for short) recently and wanted to share it.

This conversation happened shortly after I started reading the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. In it, he makes a few points, which includes "trust your gut" and "quick judgements can be as accurate as data- and scientific-based decisions". I think good luck charms don't really give you any good luck per se, but they do boost your confidence. This confidence, in turn, allows you to be comfortable in trusting your gut rather than have you talk yourself talk out of what was likely an accurate judgement.

Side note: I'm hoping that Gladwell will get to how to identify and trust our gut instincts. Right now, he's boring me with stupid stories.

2 Comments:

Blogger melody said...

I heart Stephanie "sums it up" Lau--she makes long boring things simple and easy to understand for lesser beings like myself. I heart Steb.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Cammie said...

yea, stupid stories that are just specific examples of rare instances and coincidences where they turned out to be right. i hate that book. it TOTALLY did not convince me...in fact it did the opposite. I mean, i can understand if he was saying to trust your instincts when it comes to decisions about personal matters or whatnot, but he's not saying that. he's saying that science and factual evidence is all crap, and that intuition is more accurate. then supporting his stupid claims with one in a million chance examples. kind of like...you think hmm, maybe i should do this. but no, i shall make the logical and reasonable decision that 99.9% of the time would lead to the desired result. then after, it turns out wrong, you go, oh, i KNEW i should've gone with me gut. i should never trust reason or logic ever again. that's ridiculous. that book made me so mad. ESPECIALLY cause he was citing scientific examples. HOW could you possibly say engineer a building using your GUT? see, i get worked up when i talk about that book...haha. Apparently someone wrote a book shortly after that is the complete opposite theory and refutes every claim he makes. i want to read that one. haha

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home