Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Here comes the bride, all stressed in white?

I attended my second wedding a few weeks ago and had the privilege of being a bridesmaid and a master [or mistress?] of ceremony. For those of you wondering, my first wedding was over two decades ago, when I was a flower-girl at my uncle’s wedding [I can’t remember anything, but I’m sure I was cute]. So the recent wedding was the first in my adult life. It was painful in a few different ways – the heels hurt my feet for a full day, the heels hurt my knees for a full week, and the crushing blow that smashed my fairy tale dreams will last a life time.

It is possible [and highly likely], that I am exaggerating. Ok fine, I’m undoubtedly blowing it out of proportion. But the difference between the reality of what weddings are like and the image conjured in my mind are so drastically different that I was terribly shocked. The amount of attention the couple paid to themselves was miniscule compared to that paid to the comfort of the guests, timing of the day’s events, decisions for unforeseeable problems, etc. It did not have a fairy tale feel to it. Now, don’t get me wrong. The ceremony was very touching [more than I thought it would be] and the pictures and speeches were great. I’m sure it looked like a fairy tale to the guests who don’t see the things that go on behind the scenes. My problem was that I was just very naïve as to what it takes to put on a show as grand as the one that took place. Although I was fully aware of the planning that went on before the wedding, I was surprised by the amount of work that went on during the day of the wedding.

So this got me thinking about what my wedding would be like. I don’t know where it’s going to be, when it’s going to be, what kind of flowers I’ll have or where I’m going to get my cake. What I have in mind are just a few rules of thumb I developed while watching and helping with the inner-workings of my friend’s wedding.
1. The bridesmaids get to choose their own matching dresses.
2. The bridesmaids get to choose comfortable matching footwear.
3. Delegate as many tasks to as many dependable people as possible.
4. If it’s not critical, don’t stress about it.
5. The day is about the couple. Don’t forget that!
6. Invite people who want to be there and who you want to be there. There is no max/min number.
7. I’d rather put more focus on food than decorations [I like the show “I do, let’s eat!” on Food network].
8. Hire a professional photographer who isn’t TOO pushy.
9. Make friends with people who play the keyboard and violins NOW [haha]. They make a big difference during the ceremony.
10. Make pockets of alone time for the couple to be by themselves to relish the day.

10 Comments:

Blogger i said...

you can hire a wedding planner
orrrr....you can go with my current top choice: elopement

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI- I like to read...not write. Why do you always make me 'comment'. HAHAHA..anyways...i agree with 'i'....ELOPEMENT!!! *wink wink*

enge.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Steph! I saw you in some people's pictures from the wedding, I gotta say, you were looking pretty damn fine there!!! Although I was disappointed I didn't see those legendary "gloves" you once wore to your prom.... ;)

-asuka

3:32 AM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

Actually, it wasn't quite prom. I wore my lovely brown farmer tan gloves to the athletic banquet in OAC. Believe it or not, Tammy sent out an e-mail banning any type of activities outdoors that would give us less-than-optimal tans. She threatened that if it did happen, she'd force us to go to a tanning salon to even ourselves out. She was scary, but she did think ahead. The e-mail even included a HINT HINT specifically to Enge and I. Crazy [but smart] lady. Sort of like Hitler...haha.

As for the pictures, I need to see more! I obviously couldn't take any because I was on stage all day. And yes Asuka, I've been told before that I clean up nicely. It makes me wonder how gross I look when I don't...

As for elopement, I don't know if that's for me. I would want to share that special day with special people. It's not nearly as fun to jump up and down and babble like giddy girls by yourself [...not that I've tried...].

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quoting tammy lee or feng

"tans etc - as i mentioned above - remember that you will be one of the 5 hot chicks on stage. as a matter of fact... if it's not obvious yet..........its VERY IMPORTANT to me that you guys look hot that day..... ha ha. leading up to the day..... please try not to get any memorable farmer/raccoon/kneepad/tank top tans.... haha. (this point is mainly for steph and enge :P) i reallllly don't want to have a "stripy" bunch at the front.....so pls pls try to keep your skin as even as possible :) otherwise the week of i will have to take you all to fake and bake salons..... no joke. i've been before and it's the most boring place to be..... trust me you don't want to be going!"

enge

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg that is hilarious!!!!!

Well, Steph, its not that you are "gross", but like Tammy (or Will?) eloquently put it, during the summer you tend to be a tad "stripy"....

And you and enge really do become like raccoons after tournaments!!! Tammy was definately thinking ahead. Good for her. haha!

-asuka

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that you did a fine job on stage along with your gal pal, Louisa. Also, maybe one more thing to add to the list is to invite the dude that will ask your parents and your husband's parents to come up and stage and make out. Or, as he said it with a Chinese accent..."Kissy"...

Sean Law

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? Someone made the bride and groom's parents come on-stage and make out?? Did this actually happen???

I know i don't want THIS guy... i do NOT want to see my parents make out.... *barf*

-asuka

4:16 AM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

Making out would have been funny/entertaining. But being the classic conservative and platonic chinese parents, it was really embarassing and awkward. I felt BAD for them because they were unexpectedly put on the spot in front of almost 500 people. =S

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed all the fun @ your wedding, but I had one of my own in Halifax!

By comparison, it seems like the bride & groom @ the Hfx wedding were downright relaxed!

Oh well, "chacun son gout" (to each his own)!

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home