Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Over what hill?

Not only is age ‘just a number’, I find that it is often a misleading gauge of anything and everything. In my foolish days [are they behind me yet?], I was led to believe that adults ‘over the hill’ led meaningless lives and yearn for younger and happier days [in between playing bingo and heckling at kids from their front porches]. Now, I know that this is a misperception created in my mind by Hallmark cards.

At one point or another, we all clue in to what we want to do with our time on earth. The lucky ones become in-tuned with the simple truths of life much earlier. An example of one is ‘your life is what you make of it’. It may sound plain, obvious, or even trite – but only to those who can’t appreciate the beauty of its simplicity.

‘Morning person’ is a term missing in my vocabulary [my alarm snooze button is almost worn right through]. As difficult as it is for me to wake up each morning, I welcome each day with open arms [after a banana muffin and a tall soy latte loaded with brown sugar]. Every day presents itself as a challenge and an opportunity to live my life the way I want and believe. There will certainly be rough patches here and there but as long as I stick to my guns and treat them as the difficult but necessary lessons that they are, there can be no bad days. Whatever comes my way, I cannot lose if I do my best to “Live in love. Live with integrity. Live for happiness.”

As time passes, we gain more opportunities to discover and live by new truths and secrets. Unless you give up when you hit 50, there is no going over any hill! Life is just going to get better as you get older. The bumps along the way will most likely be more complicated further down the road, but we’ll also be able to better appreciate the stretches of smooth sailing.