Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Death: BOO! Me: Ehhh

A good test of how you feel about life is to give death a visit [put down the bottle of pills - that’s not what I mean]. At a friend’s suggestion, we took our afternoon stroll in a cemetery. I was initially shocked and disturbed by the idea. Unless you were there to pay respects to a loved one, who in their right mind would actually want to randomly walk around from headstone to headstone willingly, reading the etchings along the way?

Expecting a heavy air of gloom to overwhelm me as soon as I entered the site, I was pleasantly surprised by the sunrays that warmed my face and the peace and serenity that filled my heart. Instead of seeing death as absolute and final, I felt happiness at the very depth of my soul. It was the most peaceful moment I have ever experienced. I wanted it captured forever. What kind of freak finds joy at a cemetery?

Well, I’m that freak. It took me a few moments to realize what was going on. My opinion is that your view of death is reflective of your view of life...and beyond. Troublesome feelings will be magnified, as will happy ones. In my case, I do not fear death. I fear the physical pain that may be associated with the act of dying [please don't let me go by way of canker sores and stomach aches]. I will be saddened by the termination of my relationships with people when I pass away. But I do not fear death itself [I recognize that it's easy to say now]. It is simply the end of [what I hope to be] a remarkable run in the great adventure of life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cammie said...

I've always liked cemetaries. Mind you, I only go during nice summer or autumn days....and not like the sketchy ones. pretty ones. it IS nice and very relaxing.

8:54 AM  
Blogger i said...

yeah, i agree with cam. i go to the cemetary near my house all the time to jog or just to walk and my grandparents are there so i go to talk to them too. i have to admit that it's always difficult to walk by this one tombstone of a 4 year old boy and the tombstome has a carving of thomas the train in it....it's quite heartbreaking

1:40 AM  
Blogger Herb said...

I go running in york cemetary too...and I talk to my dead grampa there too...

but I don't randomly walk through and look at tombstones...that seems a lil weird...

but yeah, just going through that place is quite serene and calming...and the fountain/pond thingie is nice to hang out by while reading a book...there're turtles, frogs, and fish in it...and lots of em too!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home