Thursday, June 30, 2005

Change the world, make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race [and rats]

I recently learned of a very interesting study [by word of mouth, so don’t freak out if I make mistakes]. For those of you who have taken sociology courses, why haven’t you shared this with me?!

A colony of rats was used to study the effects of overpopulation. Along with the birth of baby rats, scientists also introduced rats external to the colony at set time intervals. As the colony became increasingly crowded, abnormal behaviours were observed. The adult rats became less and less interested in procreation and engaged in sexual activities with their own sex...At this point of the story, I had to interrupt and ask a stupid question. How did the scientists know when a male rat was having intercourse with a male or female rat? Whenever two rats were getting busy, did the scientists have to pick them up and turn them over to check what gender they were by looking at the sex organs? Although it sounds like a poor excuse to interrupt a story, I just couldn’t figure out how they’d do it any other way [unless the spray painted all the females or males different colours]...Crime also became rampant. The adult rats would eat the baby rats and gang-bang each other.

Three things happened I heard the story. One, I was boggled by how the actions of our ‘intellectually superior’ specie can be so easily reduced to the animal behaviours studied in rats. Two, I felt very sorry for the poor rats for being subjected to that environment. Three, I felt no pity for ourselves.

Human life loses value as time passes. When did abandoning or killing newborn girls become common practice? How was the idea of placing a dollar value on human life for cost-benefit analysis made acceptable? Who rid us of our responsibility toward our senior citizens [Bush trying to eliminate Social Security]? What the mofo is going on?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home