Monday, May 09, 2005

My tossed salad is melting in the pot

I'm not exactly a cultural cornucopia...more of a dipped vanilla cone really. Damn that sounds boring.

There was a specific time early in my teenage years when I defiantly turned my back on my culture. Back then, I was already fairly well integrated in the Canadian environment after having moved here for a few years. It seemed as though I couldn’t shake the stereotypes of the Chinese culture – not that others applied them to me, but that I applied them to others. I could not stand being associated to the loud, obnoxious, and rude Chinese population.

Since then, I’ve remained stubbornly conformed to the North American culture. The only thing I do regret is losing the Cantonese language. The tattered remnants of my familiarity with the Chinese culture will suffice for the time being. I am actually more interested in learning, through travel, about cultures other than my own. Perhaps 24 years from now [assuming I’ll still be blogging], I may write about how much I regret not keeping in touch with my roots. Until then, I want to see the world, eh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Herb said...

I find that as I've grown older, I've been able to better appreciate my background and my culture. When I was young(er), I really didn't care to know about I was perfectly content with being Canadian. Plus, I used to hate Chinese school with a passion. Worst way to spend a saturday morning...for 11 years!!

But yeah, I'm now soooooo grateful that my parents made me go. I'm really saddened by the fact that my ability to pass this on to my kids will be severely limited though. I will consider it a great accomplishment if my kids are better at all this Chinese stuff than I am.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home