Thursday, May 12, 2005

Everyone needs to get slapped around now and then

Half the time, we’re not even aware that life is happening. We mindlessly go through the daily motions and routines, letting our dreams and ambitions ooze down the drain. But once in a while, life gives us a b*tch-slap. Sometimes they feel good. Other times...not so much. Either way, it wakes us up.

So I got slapped yesterday during the Rotman welcome advising session. Talking to my future classmates and watching the presentation made me realize that what has always been “something I’m going to do” is fast becoming “something that’s happening now”. It was surreal for me to acknowledge the fact that I am going to start my MBA in three months. I have to apply for loans, shop for a laptop, but worst of all – get myself mentally ready to accept the next phase of my life. This is not just goofy undergraduate classes and tutorials anymore. This is real life [it's also something that will put me unbelievably deep in debt - enough to buy a new Inifiniti M series]. After the two short years, I’ll be launched into the real world – one full of trials, bills, and stress [with what I hope to be at least intermittent periods of happiness].

Needless to say, that was not an enjoyable slap but one that I badly needed. It reminded me to take advantage of my last three months of freedom before I enter quasi-adulthood [I don't think I'm ready for the real thing yet]. Now that I think about it, I’m glad I stretched myself so thinly with all the activities and going-on's this summer. It may be my last chance to do so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cammie said...

I always did think the Work Now, Play Later motto was a scam...I say play whenever possible for as long as you can because there will be plenty of time for work...

this is what I learned for not playing enough while in school....

3:08 PM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

I do believe in "work now, play later". If you don't work hard now to set yourself up for an easier life down the road, you'll have to work hard for your entire life. The important thing is to understand that "work now" doesn't mean "all work and no play".

5:13 PM  
Blogger i said...

or you guys can be like my classmates who work hard AND play hard. i don't know how they do it. i'm exhausted from trying it just 1 week.

11:12 PM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

hahahaha

i'll stick with play hard, work not-so-hard

at least until my knees give
then i'll go with no play, work not-so-hard

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home