Monday, April 11, 2005

No pain, no gain, no thanks.

I suppose you can judge a society by the mindset of its constituents. So what does it say about our society when we boast [rather than complain] about how little we sleep, how much overtime we put in, and how little time we spend with our family? This would nearly bring a tear to my eye if we weren’t so damn self-destructive. How do we let ourselves repeatedly fall on our own swords like bumbling dimwits?

An “easy solution” would be to blame the society. But easy – yes, solution – no. If we weren’t darn exhausted from working so hard, we would see that, as constituents of the society, we control it. By definition, it cannot exist without us. Unfortunately, we don’t take the time to look around and see how we’re letting our lives pass us by.

You can call me lazy. You can brand me a fool. But I still say to you that we have to take a united stand. With the spread of globalization, this will only get worse. This “no pain, no gain” culture will spread like wildfire. We have to see that what’s actually happening is “all pain, no gain”. I cannot function in an all work and no play environment. I want to be able to boast about seeing my kids grow up, writing a book, travelling the world, and winning curling championships with pride and I fully intend on doing so.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cammie said...

you should work at darlington. i think that's what everyone thinks....work is just...like one of their extracurricular activities..haha

in my group now at pickering, however, people are married to the plant.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ivan said...

i think it's just a function of what people need to do to get to where they want to be.

it's easy to say, let's take time off and play a little, it's important.

but you gotta ask yourself how you got to the point where you are financially stable enough to take that time off.

you probably got to that point because you worked your ass off through university. so it just becomes part of your lifestyle. you worked really hard your whole life, so you still do so.

it would be great if everyone had the luxury of being able to balance work and play, and still be financially where they want to be. personally, i think it's a goal only some of us are lucky enough to achieve.

but i digress. i do believe i've had this argument already.

10:59 PM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

Just to be clear, this is not an argument. I am not disagreeing with Ivan. I just want to add on to what he said.

It's obvious that you have to be financially stable before you can starting playing and spending your free time on fun things. But there's another reason to work hard now. Not only will the better paying jobs open up, so will jobs that I will actually enjoy. Since work is a necessary evil, I might as well spend the 8 hours doing something I like. This opportunity would not exist if I didn't work hard in my early years.

The plan is to work hard and play hard.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home