Thursday, March 03, 2005

KABOOM

Missile defense has been a hot topic of late. The only thing I know about the actual subject is whatever I have inferred from its name. So the US basically wants to DEFEND North America by shooting down incoming MISSILES [if celebrities can get honorary PhD’s, why can’t I?].

You have to admit that when you watch knowledgeable people argue an intellectual topic, it’s often boring. For example, I’d rather watch Anna Nicole Smith and Jessica Simpson than two scientists argue about quantum physics. So this is where I come in. Although I am no freak or bimbo, I am equally able to provide inane insight.

I do not wish to attack the validity of the missile defense program. It is a serious topic and I am in no position to jump into that dogfight [to contradict myself, I pose this question: who in their right mind would try to send missiles to the States knowing that they’ll send 50 times that over in retaliation?]. I would, however, like to comment on how some of the proponents of this program are reacting to Martin’s announcement.

1) The US will not return our phone calls.
Boo freaking hoo. Bush took 5 years to make an official visit to Canada since he was first elected to Office. You would think we’re used to getting snubbed by now.

2) The US will make trade talks more difficult.
You know your position is WEAK if you’re using the possibility of diminished trade talks to argue for our participation in the Missile Defense program. Trade talks will always be a touchy subject and it will never be easy. The US will use them as a bargaining chip for everything [it is in their best interest to do so].

3) We’re giving up our souverinty.
Do you think the US keeps repeating this word by accident? They hear us yak all day and night about how much we want to preserve our souverinty and that we don’t want to turn into a mini-me version of the US. It’s like us reacting to a bully calling us poo poo head. Why do we make things so easy for them? We should all yell sticks and stones may hurt our bones but words will never hurt us. Or as Christina says, we are beautiful, no matter what you say, words can’t bring us down. This point doesn’t even really make sense. The States are telling us that they’re going to shoot incoming missiles down whether we’d like it or not. Where’s the souverinty in that? Even if that’s the case, why do they care so much about our “pretend” approval? Damn ass politics!

I don’t know anything about the details and actual arguments for or against the program because I haven’t actually heard a proponent express legitimate reasons for his support on the television. It’s very odd that all the outrage is based on issues that have nothing to do with why the program is a good idea in the first place. Stuff like this makes it hard to see the good in the world. Knowing Martin said NO only because he has a minority government [or YES if he had a majority government] doesn’t help either.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cammie said...

....I'm glad you found a way to include the wise words of Christina Aguilera into a missile defence discussion.....you are skillful indeed...

hahaha

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home