Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Stop patting yourselves on your backs

I was intrigued by an invitation to a dinner hosted by the Capital Markets group held by a major bank. Since this was an exclusive peek (apparently based on academic standings...which makes me think I might have gotten it by mistake), into the world of Capital Markets,I was excited at the chance to learn more about the banking world. But more importantly, they promised a free dinner at the University of Toronto Faculty Club (yum). As good as it sounds, there is one small snag. It is hosted by women for women. Alarm bells rang in my head. Uh-oh, is this going to be a lame excuse for ultra-feminists to congregate and cheer each other on?

The answer: yes it was. I regreted going as soon as one of the students asked "How did you decide who to invite to this dinner?" Translation: I already know that you invited me here because I do well in school [pat pat] but I'd like to hear you say it.

If this event was held thirty years ago, I would have been awed and volunteered my time to the feminist movement. But honestly, with 30-50% of women already working in that part of your business, I don't really give a rat's ass how you balance your life. You ten women aren't the only ones doing it. Stop congratulating yourselves [pat pat]. Stop making yourselves feel superior [pat pat]. Stop trying to empower me. The fact that you're making an issue out of this non-issue actually pushes "The Movement" back a decade.

If you're trying to fight against Ethnic Cleansing, racism, or something equally worthwhile (that actually exists), I'll support you. If you lure me to your event with a free dinner so I will sit there and watch you give yourself props, screw off.

Not only was I angered by the whole event, they served ice cream for dinner. I couldn't help myself because it was served in this little chocolate cup. Needless to say, I paid dearly for it later that night.

6 Comments:

Blogger i said...

dude, ivan would LOVE this entry. he's all about how feminism isn't feminism anymore. it's not about equality anymore, it's about getting advantages.

and hello? is my lactaid just sitting around the house?

11:20 PM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

hahaha
umm...errr...i have misplaced (not lost, of course) the Lactaid

maybe i should get a new bottle...man, that ice cream was sooooooo NOT worth it

5:25 PM  
Blogger Ivan said...

i do love this entry!

you're the best steph.

i feel like i'm fighting an endless uphill battle against extreme feminists who feel like they need to take over the world for them to feel equal to men.

3:02 PM  
Blogger ehbaba said...

Imagine how I feel when I blurt out these 'anti-feminist' ramblings. The fact that I don't want to take over the world makes me out to be an underachiever...like I'm a traitor and a disgrace to womankind. What's up with that?

Women should not strive to be like men. We should be happy with our own unique characteristics. Men are better than us at some things. We're better than men at some things. It just works out so leave it alone.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Cammie said...

I agree.....women should definitely not strive to be like men......haha

9:09 AM  
Blogger asuka said...

I also totally agree. I also hate the feminist movement! Exactly as you said Steph - by making it a big deal, its having the opposite effect!!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home